MSTYP acknowledges the Traditional Owners, the Gayamaygal, Garigal and the Wallamedegal and their Country on which we operate. Through these words we show our respect to all Aboriginal people. We acknowledge their Elders in the past and in the present, and acknowledge the spirits and ancestors of those that lived in our area.
Our mission is to enrich the lives of young people by connecting them to the transformative power of live performance.
Why we do what we do
Because voice – young people need a safe space to develop their expressive and creative voices. Young people look to a company that believes in them, values their ideas and aspires to produce the highest quality work.
Because tribe – Young people want and need a safe place to fit in, to find their feet, and their place in the world.
Because creativity – Young people need a place to create, make and experiment
Because Art – Young people deserve access to the highest quality art, artists, experience and process.
Because imagination – young people deserve a place to imagine and reimagine the world they live in
Because spirit – because MSTYP engenders and emboldens the spirit of young people.
What we aspire to do
To inspire more young people to engage with live theatre as both storytellers and participants
Marian Street Theatre for Young People (MSTYP) is one of the oldest continually-running children’s theatres and drama schools in Australia, inaugurated in 1969. It has been a unique part of Sydney’s North Shore Ku-ring-gai community for nearly 50 years, originally as an arm of the distinguished Marian Street Theatre Ltd. and since 2001 as an independent, not-for-profit organisation.
What we do
Creative thinking, collaboration and imagination will be at the forefront of skills required for a 21st Century world and workforce.
MSTYP uses theatre training alongside live performance to magnify and amplify the stories and questions of our world. Our company asks its participants to imagine the possibilities within the world they are growing up in; to think artistically, critically and creatively, and use theatre as an interpretative lens in their roles as active global citizens.
- We create productions for children, providing opportunities for young people to participate in the presentation and making of theatre as actors, stage managers, directors and technical operators.
- Our main-stage productions provide many young children with their first theatrical experience. Our plays range from fairy tales to modern classics and original Australian stories.
- MSTYP provides vital professional work for Australian artists - writers, composers, teaching artists, directors and designers.
- MSTYP creates a supportive environment where young people work together towards a common goal and challenge themselves under the mentorship of theatre professionals. and provide drama training and theatre-making opportunities for young people from the age of three through to young adults.
- MSTYP is an accessible and inclusive organisation which fosters young people's creative expression and educates Australia's future professional artists.
- Our after school and weekend classes and holiday workshops emphasize team work, creative expression, inspiration, laughter, exploration and individual discipline to achieve a personal aim or the group's common goal in telling the stories that reflect their lives.
Jessica Blaxland Ashby
David Castle (President)
David Newman (Vice President)
Don Waller (Treasurer)
Jessica Blaxland Ashby (secretary)
Our organisation is committed to child safety. We have zero tolerance of child abuse.